Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Anita Graham amgraham at it.net.au
Thu Jan 20 08:20:13 EST 2005

> It's [They're a Weird Mob] cionnected in my head with something I read at
about the
> same time
> called "Let Stalk Strine"  (I think).  Was that by the same
> author, and who
> *was* he anyhow?  *They're a Weird Mob* is in my father's
> house, not here.
>
> Minnow

Weird Mob has the author as Nino Culotta, but is actually by John O'Grady. I
think you're right and "Let stalk Strine" came out at about the same time.
LSS is by (of course) Affabeck Lauder (apparently really Alistair Morrison).

I still use Strinisms sometimes, but not many people understand. (Emma? ,
short for Emma Chisit, or How much is it?)

Anita