Enduring vs Enjoying

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jan 20 07:56:56 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> And didn't we have a conversation here a while back about why it should be
> that funny books almost never seem to make it into the Literature category?
> It's as though something that moves the reader to laughter could never
> make a serious point, in the eyes of the literary snobs.  Their loss, say
> I, and dive happily back into P.G. Wodehouse.
>
> Minnow

It may be that humor just takes longer to make it in, for some reason?  As
I've mentioned before, I am now making my way through the canon as defined
by the Norton anthologies.  Gilbert and Sullivan (err, or, given the
lack of instrumentation, perhaps I ought to just say Gilbert?) makes it
in, which is not too shabby.  And some reasonably funny Swift poems (Swift
would be an exception to my general distaste for that horrible eighteenth
century).  And in the Anthology of Poetry, we even get Lewis Carroll and
Lear's limericks and Ogden Nash!  But perhaps the Anthology of Poetry
feels less of a responsibility to Define the Canon.

					---Kyra

---
Prometheus: "Grief for awhile is blind and so was mine. / I wish no living
thing to suffer pain."
			---Percy Bysshe Shelley, _Prometheus Unbound_