Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jan 20 07:35:32 EST 2005

> That's like being called on to comment on somebody's new baby, when you are
> not all that interested.  There is one thing one can safely say, which will
> give no offence; almost anything said about that particular baby may be the
> wrong thing, but the words
> (pay attention at the back, this is *useful*)
> "I *say*!  That *is* a baby!"
> spoken with reasonable enthusiasm, cover all bases, are obviously true, and
> do not require you to add anything more.

*grin* a friend of mine insisted that some non-European language had a
word especially for this (presumably to cover the widespread nerves
about praising a child), which translated as:
"What a *baby* baby!"

Which would be terribly useful for those of us who succumb to the
terrible impulse to coo over babies and have long talks with them
(though not in babytalk, it's embarrassing enough to have them looking
at you and clearly thinking 'look, I haven't even got used to LIGHT yet
and she wants me to make conversation? Auntie, you're NUTS!')

The Knowledge Pika, known far and wide as Aunt Bunny
-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom
No longer lend our strength to that / which we wish to be free from
Fill lives with love and bravery /And we shall lead a life uncommon."
		-- Jewel, _Life Uncommon_