Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jan 20 07:14:54 EST 2005

Paul wrote:

>All this talk about bizarre dialects and people talking like radio
>announcers reminds me of one of the classics of Australian literature,
>a book called 'They're a Weird Mob'; it's about an Italian immigrant
>to Australia who, having gone to the trouble of learning to speak
>English, is disturbed to discover that he's apparently the only person
>in the country who *does*...

This is one of those books, like *Don't Knock the Corners Off* and *The
Brontes Went To Woolworths*, that I had a theory about when I was younger:
I decided that my family must have bought them just before the universe
skipped to an alternative line somehow, and we now had the only copies in
the entire world.  Nobody I met for years and years had ever heard of any
one of them!

This list is a reassuring place.

It's cionnected in my head with something I read at about the same time
called "Let Stalk Strine"  (I think).  Was that by the same author, and who
*was* he anyhow?  *They're a Weird Mob* is in my father's house, not here.

Minnow