Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Thu Jan 20 03:22:22 EST 2005

>while I found
>_Sartor Resartus_ rather harder-going, I wondered if I was going insane
>when the section leader in the class I was discussing it in said that it
>was a given that nobody could possibly like it at all without reading lots
>of critical material explaining the whole thing.

And I had the opposite experience with Goethe's Faust Part II. First
encountered it in English translation, whereupon Frau Lindemann said
that of course nobody could appreciate it without reading it in the
original. Came up against it a couple of years later in a German
Literature class where the teacher said that we couldn't really
appreciate it wihout lots and lots of footnotes explaining the
contemporary literary figures Goethe was parodying. Third time, in grad
school, we got the complete footnotes and discussion. At which point I
decided that it might have been a hell of a lot of fun to the
contemporaries, but as far as I'm concerned, you just had to be there.

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html