trash vs literature

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 19 21:01:55 EST 2005

Quoting Kyla Tornheim <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu>:

> That's so odd. I don't watch news on tv because, well, I hate watching
> news on tv; but it seems to me that they can't fit nearly as much into a
> half-hour or hour-long television show as they can into a daily newspaper.
> I love reading the newspaper, because, yes, I can learn what's going on in
> the world; and I can learn as much or as little about it as I choose. I
> don't have to wait for the talking heads with the plastic hair to present
> the next story to me; I can skim articles or just read headlines and go on
> to the next article, which I want to read in depth.
>
> And when I couldn't get the paper delivered, I read it online. When I went
> to college, I had not yet discovered that I could and should read the
> paper online; I started doing so when I found out that Mother Teresa had
> died three days before and I hadn't known.

I started reading newspapers online instead of watching the news because I was getting too stressed in the
morning listening to politicians - I swear my blood pressure goes up at the sound of some people's voices!
In the paper I have more control over what I read when. Plus when I want to procrastinate I can read the
environment news and pretend it's research!

Emma (I loves my television for nature shows (and occasionally current affairs shows so I know what
people look and sound like), but also for borrowing DVDs like Buffy out from the library. This is so
convenient that if there is a series on TV I like I'd rather get it on DVD than watch it live)