Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 19 20:54:25 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Margaret Ball wrote:

[deborah:]

> > My dialect is incredibly bizarre, because my mother is a Londoner
> > (formerly Cockney, no less, although there was accent training in
> > her youth); my father is an over-educated American Yinglish
> > (Yiddish-English) speaker with diction like a BBC announcer
>
> Ah, another DDP (dialectically displaced person). My mother loathed
> her family background so much (think Okies who didn't have the
> gumption to move west when the Dust Bowl happened, but drifted south
> into East Texas instead) that she trained herself to speak like a
> radio announcer. At least that's what I think she did. She won't
> talk about it.

All this talk about bizarre dialects and people talking like radio
announcers reminds me of one of the classics of Australian literature,
a book called 'They're a Weird Mob'; it's about an Italian immigrant
to Australia who, having gone to the trouble of learning to speak
English, is disturbed to discover that he's apparently the only person
in the country who *does*...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."