Enduring vs Enjoying

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 19 17:23:09 EST 2005

I'm starting to think I've been misunderstood.  I was neither saying
that one couldn't enjoy Serious Profound Literature (or movies or
whatever) nor that it wasn't worth reading things that might not
be highly enjoyable.  What I was saying was that some Literary
Snobs (the sort who would say "Oh, you're reading a YA fantasy"
in a condescending way if they saw you reading a DWJ) seem to
think that Serious Profound Literature isn't meant to be enjoyed
and that the very nature of enduring reading something is what
makes it valuable.  Almost that by enjoying something you are
proving its worthlessness or proving that you don't understand
its Deep Profound meaning.

Allison