trash vs literature

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Jan 19 17:15:15 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Irina Rempt wrote:

> That was my husband's grandmother's worry: "you won't know what's going
> on in the world!" But then she was one of those people who thought that
> when you've seen something on TV, you can be sure that it's true.

That's so odd. I don't watch news on tv because, well, I hate watching
news on tv; but it seems to me that they can't fit nearly as much into a
half-hour or hour-long television show as they can into a daily newspaper.
I love reading the newspaper, because, yes, I can learn what's going on in
the world; and I can learn as much or as little about it as I choose. I
don't have to wait for the talking heads with the plastic hair to present
the next story to me; I can skim articles or just read headlines and go on
to the next article, which I want to read in depth.

And when I couldn't get the paper delivered, I read it online. When I went
to college, I had not yet discovered that I could and should read the
paper online; I started doing so when I found out that Mother Teresa had
died three days before and I hadn't known.