Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Jan 19 14:28:55 EST 2005

Melissa said...

> North of Austin, in Cleburne (about forty minutes south of Fort Worth).
But
> this was usually used in the sense of "do you want something to drink?" as
> in "Do you want a Coke?" and then the other person might specify "Sure,
how
> about a 7-Up?"

While I know intellectually that people in some parts of the US use "coke"
as a generic term for any kind of soft drink (as we tend to call them), this
conversation would confuse me for at least a minute or two if I heard it
with no warning.

Mind you, I don't like sweet fizzy drinks (including cola), no matter what
you call them, so my answer to the question would probably be "No, thank
you.  Could I maybe have a glass of water?"  So even if I misunderstood the
question, no harm would be done. :-)

Dorian.