trash vs literature

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 13:29:47 EST 2005

Charlie wrote:
> How pleasant it would be to see the Goodies again, by the way
> - something they don't seem to have shown for many years. Or would it be
> embarrassingly dated and awful? Perhaps it's better not to know.

Mwahahaha, there's a DVD out (The Goodies- At Last). I think it's worn OK, maybe a bit less well than the Pythons (although Python is so familiar it's hard to compare). There are certainly very funny bits, and bits that are funny but dated, and bits that are no longer funny. My favourite of the episodes on the DVD is probably the Lighthouse Keeping one or Kung Fu Capers- Kitten Kong seemed a bit one-joke.
I'll certainly get the At Last A Second Helping one that comes out next month.

I wish there was more Peter Cook and Dudley Moore available than the single "Best Of" video, now transferred to DVD. I suppose many of the episodes were wiped (grrr). The Mary Whitehouse Experience has never been available at all, as far as I know. Drop the Dead Donkey- only one DVD available. Fry and Laurie- not on DVD. Yet you can get every last episode and every death-rattle of a Christmas Special ever transmitted of bloody Only Fools And Horses.
[I think OFAH is like the Harry Potter of comedy, for me- it's not that it's awful, but there is so much that's better!]
Jennifer