Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 19 12:08:23 EST 2005

Margaret Ball wrote:

> Ah, another DDP (dialectically displaced person).

This is great! I didn't know there was a term for it. I am one, because
I was born in Canada, but lived in Australia for a really long time (and
was peer and teacher pressured at school to talk "correctly"), so I have
an Australian accent. Sort of. Now I am back in Canada, and people
assume I am foreign, and ask me about my immigration status, and where I
am from. One student said I was "harder to understand than a French person."

> Do you meet this problem, and if so, what do you do about it?

It depends. Sometimes it is funny when people ask "where are you from"
to see their faces when I say "Saskatoon".

Robyn