Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Jan 19 10:58:32 EST 2005

Melissa wrote

>Of course Ros enjoyed _The Da Vinci Code_.  It's a very good thriller, and
>the inclusion of a conspiracy theory that has been well-documented makes it
>seem more like real life.

Does it matter whether the conspiracy theory, well-documented and all, is
accurate?

I ask because if I have understood rightly (and the book hasn't come my
way, so I haven't read it) _The Da Vinci Code_ has set up a group of people
who really exist, and used them as the villains.  Am I wrong?  Opus Dei?

It isn't that I am a member, or even that I know any, but that seems to me
to be a dangerous game to play, in that encouraging a dislike and mistrust
of real people on the basis of a fictional account of their doings mixed in
with a bit of fact (accurate data about when they were founded, where they
are to be found, that sort of thing) is altogether too likely to go too
far.

I have known for a while that Opus Dei might not be entirely sweetness and
light, in fact I know that some of the things individual members do strike
me as downright whacko, but I'm not convinced they are a totally Black Hat
Organisation nor that they deserve to be portrayed as such.  Are they, in
the book?

Minnow