Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jan 19 10:05:44 EST 2005

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
> |	Tom: But of course. Usually, I spend the next six days hiding
> |	under the stairs with a hessian sack over my head, making hamster
> |	noises. Isn't that the whole point?
> *sporfle*
> Do hamsters make noises?
> -deborah

Deborah, you have obviously never been trapped into sleeping in
someone's kid's bedroom with more than 2 hamsters. Yes, hamsters make
noise. They also use objects in their cages to make noise, but they
squeak and bicker between themselves too.

Sort of like atoms:

"The plain truth of the matter is that if you put more than two or three
atoms together in a confined space for any length of time, sooner or
later they're going to get on each other's wick, and then they start
hurling themselves about and colliding with each other. They also shout
a lot, but since the science of physics is in its infancy, nobody has
yet constructed an instrument sensitive enough to monitor the voices of
millions of tiny atoms debating with each other whose turn it is to do
the washing up. Probably just as well, if you ask me."
--Tom Holt, Ye Gods!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom
No longer lend our strength to that / which we wish to be free from
Fill lives with love and bravery /And we shall lead a life uncommon."
		-- Jewel, _Life Uncommon_