Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Jan 19 09:13:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|If they do, I guarantee no one in the literary community will take them
|seriously.  What I mean is that science fiction writers are aware of how
|their genre is perceived by other writers, and that to some people, SF
|cannot be great simply by virtue of being SF.

I was at ALA Midwinter this past weekend, and went to a lovely couple of
sessions about YA lit in which people actually talked about fantasy!
And graphic novels!  And science fiction! And others were actually
willing to listen, and sincerely wanted good suggestions, and wanted to
know how to assess graphic novels ("_Blankets_ got lovely reviews, but
then it arrived, and it had illustrated nudity.  It may be lovely, but
this is a public high school library!  How do I know what's good but
safe from my administation?").

And this lovely discussion was going swimmingly, covering not just
conventional graphic novels and comics but the high-brow as well
(_Blankets_, _Maus_, _Persepolis_, _In the Shadow of No Towers_, etc)
when someone just *had* to offer a disclaimer:

"Of course, none of it's real literature."

*facepalm*

-deborah, wanting to smack that person with a copy of Maus
--
Glory be to God for dappled things 	-- G. M. Hopkins