Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 19 08:08:54 EST 2005

Ros quoted Kylie:

>> Soft drink.
>> Shopping bag. Or plastic bag.
>> Pram. Pusher sometimes if the baby sits upright.
>> Roll (or sub if it is from Subway).
>> Bathers
>> School bag.

Philip wrote:

<< Yet more of you who call fizzy drinks "soft drinks".  If I was told that
only soft drinks were to be served at a party, I'd be _very_ surprised and
disappointed not to get fruit juice, or at least squash (by which I mean a
fruit cordial made from concentrate, non-fizzy).  To me, "soft drink" means
served cold and contains no alcohol. >>

Oh yes, I'd expect those kinds of drinks. But technically, "soft drinks"
refers to carbonated drinks, here at any rate. On a day to day basis, most
people are just as likely to say "Would you like some lemonade/orangeade?"
or "Would you like something fizzy to drink?" if referring specifically to
fizzy drinks, and ask "Would you like some fruit juice?" if referring to
that.

<< Oh, and I put groceries in a shopping basket, if I remember to take it.
Not just the wire thing I carry around the supermarket, but the rush basket
I take to carry them home in.  Supplemented by carrier bags or shopping
bags.  I almost never buy enough in one go to need a trolley. >>

The wire basket in supermarkets we'd call a "shopping basket" or "carry
basket", and the thing you wheel around we call, like you, a 'trolley".

Ros

This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by
those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group
does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is
responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents.
necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to
carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432