trash vs literature

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 19 07:56:35 EST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 05:21, Katie Meyers wrote:

> I know what you mean about how reading is regarded.  I get a
> different reaction, though.  People look at me in an admiring, awing
> way and go on about how they should read more, regret that they are
> engaging in such brainless activity as TV-watching, think I am so
> wonderful to do such a thing as read...

Oh yes. Have you ever tried reading a book in a foreign language in
public? When I was in high school, people were always saying admiringly
"You're reading English!" I used to say, crossly, "I'm reading a BOOK!"
Now I know that what I ought to have done, of course, is look up
vaguely, study the cover of the book and say "Goodness, you're right, I
hadn't noticed."

It would even have been true most of the time: English is, and was then,
completely transparent. I often can't remember whether I've read
something in English, Dutch or even German, making it difficult to find
a book when I only know what it was about, not what it was called.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 05-Jan-2005