trash vs literature

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 19 07:53:04 EST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 01:29, Margaret Ball wrote:

> When I moved to Southern California the little girl in the next
> apartment had the same worries. There we were, two blocks from the
> beach, but "what do you do?"

When we were living in our first apartment we invited the neighbours
over once. They sat in our living room surrounded by books, the
computer (we had only one at the time), musical instruments, painting
materials, role-playing stuff, etcetera, and they looked around
uneasily for a while until it dawned on them: "You don't have a TV!"

"Right: we don't."

"So what do you do in the evening?"

(wait for the music, painting and role-playing to start all by itself, I
suppose)

> She was also concerned that I wouldn't
> be able to find out what was going on in the world, even after I
> pointed out that the morning paper actually contained more news that
> was given in television broadcasts. "But if something important
> happens, you won't find out about it in time!"

That was my husband's grandmother's worry: "you won't know what's going
on in the world!" But then she was one of those people who thought that
when you've seen something on TV, you can be sure that it's true.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 05-Jan-2005