Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Belben, Philip ( Energy Wholesale ) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Jan 19 07:28:40 EST 2005

Ros quoted Kylie:

>> Soft drink.
>> Shopping bag.  Or plastic bag.
>> Pram.  Pusher sometimes if the baby sits upright.
>> Roll (or sub if it is from Subway).
>> Bathers
>> School bag.

Yet more of you who call fizzy drinks "soft drinks".  If I was told that only soft drinks were to be served at a party, I'd be _very_ surprised and disappointed not to get fruit juice, or at least squash (by which I mean a fruit cordial made from concentrate, non-fizzy).  To me, "soft drink" means served cold and contains no alcohol.

Oh, and I put groceries in a shopping basket, if I remember to take it.  Not just the wire thing I carry around the supermarket, but the rush basket I take to carry them home in.  Supplemented by carrier bags or shopping bags.  I almost never buy enough in one go to need a trolley.

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432