Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 05:45:24 EST 2005

Allison wrote:
>  I suspect that a lot of Literary Snobs don't really think books
> should be enjoyed so much as endured.

Which reminds me strongly of Dave Langford interviewing Tom Holt (I don't think I actually have any thoughts of my own any more, only quotes.)
 http://www.ansible.co.uk/writing/tomholt.html
	Me: I'll confess that unlike many interviewers I have actually
	read your novel ...

	Tom: "... The love that asks no question, the love that pays
	the price, The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice."

	Me: And I enjoyed it -- though Chris Priest always says one
	isn't supposed to *enjoy* a Priest novel but be purged with pity
	and terror, stirred to the very roots of one's being, and the like.

	Tom: But of course. Usually, I spend the next six days hiding
	under the stairs with a hessian sack over my head, making hamster
	noises. Isn't that the whole point?