trash vs literature

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 05:38:15 EST 2005

Katie wrote:
> I myself do not watch TV because when I was little my mom made a rule
> about my brothers and I only being allowed to watch the PBS channels,
> which are Barney, Sesame Street, Magic School Bus, Wishbone, etc.

My mum did that- although in our case it was the BBC. I intend to do the same, assuming the poor old Beeb hasn't been abolished by then, not from the notion that the other channels don't have good stuff on them but purely to save myself from advert-driven begging for rubbishy toys. (I expect I'll get quite as much begging for toys as I can cope with anyway. Cutting out one source means Less Hassle For Mum, which I feel is a very useful motto in parenting, and leads to Less Desire To Throttle Kiddies.)
Jennifer