trash vs literature

Katie Meyers kgmeyers at optonline.net
Tue Jan 18 23:21:47 EST 2005

<<I, on the other hand, have wasted many hours trying to convince
people that "I don't watch TV" is a simple statement about my habits
and not an intellectual snobbism, and that many of the books I read are
every bit as trashy as their favorite TV show, whatever it may be.>>

I know what you mean about how reading is regarded.  I get a different
reaction, though.  People look at me in an admiring, awing way and go
on about how they should read more, regret that they are engaging in
such brainless activity as TV-watching, think I am so wonderful to do
such a thing as read...  I feel obliged to explain that my reading
material is not all that educational or literary, I don't deserve this
admiration, but they still do not seem to understand- they think
reading is inherently "smart".  All this coming from people who are
much more up-to-date on current events, and extremely knowledgeable
about history and many diverse subjects.  This is probably not as bad
as being regarded as an intellectual snob.
I myself do not watch TV because when I was little my mom made a rule
about my brothers and I only being allowed to watch the PBS channels,
which are Barney, Sesame Street, Magic School Bus, Wishbone, etc.
These were fun but as I got older and the old rule was never revoked I
eventually turned to reading because it was just more interesting than
these shows, as well as being transportable to school.  Now that my
family can finally watch other channels, I have no habit of watching
TV, and am so absorbed in all of my books that I do not think I could
change if I tried.