Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Tue Jan 18 21:01:40 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:02:37 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>But it occurred to me later that no matter how insulated the
>>SF community gets, you NEVER hear about them talking about their own fiction
>>as though it's the pinnacle of creation, the only true and living fiction
>>ever created, of which all else is a pale shadow.
>>

>Oh yeah? I could introduce you to a couple of SF writers who do just
>that, and at great length. But it wouldn't be nice to name names here.

If they do, I guarantee no one in the literary community will take them
seriously.  What I mean is that science fiction writers are aware of how
their genre is perceived by other writers, and that to some people, SF
cannot be great simply by virtue of being SF.

Whether individuals think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread is
another conversation...and no, I don't think we want to have it, do we?

Melissa Proffitt