Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Tue Jan 18 20:57:56 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:55:48 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>Melissa wrote
>
>>When I lived in Texas, carbonated beverages were always Cokes even if they
>>were clear and non-caffeinated.
>>

>Where in Texas were you? I'm in Austin, and if somebody asks for a Coke
>they expect something dark and caffeinated. Even if it's actually Pepsi <g>

North of Austin, in Cleburne (about forty minutes south of Fort Worth).  But
this was usually used in the sense of "do you want something to drink?" as
in "Do you want a Coke?" and then the other person might specify "Sure, how
about a 7-Up?"

Melissa Proffitt