The Importance of Keeping in Touch. LONG! and largely OT.

Tue Jan 18 20:53:50 EST 2005

Like I said, I'm glad you're back, Ania--though I'm sad that it was a death
that prompted your return.  Though in my own breezy cleaning-out of the
accumulated messages, you do seem to be keeping that resolution to Be A
Better Correspondent.  I am terrible at it.  I figure anything that sits in
my inbox for more than a month without exploding was probably unimportant.

Wish we had a job for you, but then I always say I can't in good conscience
recommend that people move to Utah.  :)

>Something I observed and promptly came to terms with is that I no
>longer bother reading 'worthy' books, aka Proper Literature. I used to,
>but quite frankly I cannot be bothered. I am a proper 'kidult' these
>days. I do still read other books, mostly dictionaries, books about
>language/languages and history/archaeology/myth/comparative religion.
>So, on one hand hefty non-fiction, on the other, entirely frivolous
>stuff. Is this a common phenomenon on this list?

I decided when I graduated that I would no longer read anything I didn't
want to.  I have never felt guilty about this decision.  Fortunately I like
lots of different things, but almost none of it is Proper Literature.  Then
I found out that a lot of Proper Literature was all hype, which made it
easier to ignore.  And I don't even read hefty non-fiction to make it all
balance.

Read two books this morning.  Good progress.

Melissa Proffitt