trash vs literature

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jan 18 19:29:03 EST 2005

Kathleen wrote

> "You don't have TV? But
>what do you *do*?" (This in western Qld where you could get 1 1/2
>stations). My mother told her, "Well, we read books..." "Yes, but what
>do you *do*?" "...and we play games and sew and ride..." "Yes, but
>what do you *do*??"

When I moved to Southern California the little girl in the next
apartment had the same worries. There we were, two blocks from the
beach, but "what do you do?" She was also concerned that I wouldn't be
able to find out what was going on in the world, even after I pointed
out that the morning paper actually contained more news that was given
in television broadcasts. "But if something important happens, you won't
find out about it in time!"

I suggested that if Southern California broke off from the rest of the
continent and fell into the water, I'd probably notice it happening
without having to be told about it on the TV news.

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html