Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jan 18 17:38:05 EST 2005

>Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>But it occurred to me later that no matter how insulated the
>>SF community gets, you NEVER hear about them talking about their own fiction
>>as though it's the pinnacle of creation, the only true and living fiction
>>ever created, of which all else is a pale shadow.

and Margaret Ball replied:

>Oh yeah? I could introduce you to a couple of SF writers who do just
>that, and at great length. But it wouldn't be nice to name names here.

I do trust and hope that you take the proper action about this, and laugh
at them?

That's if they just mean that SF is.  If by this comment you mean they
think the stuff they wrote themselves is the only true and living fiction
ever created, laughter is not appropriate, but the hotel swimming-pool
judiciously applied might fit the bill.  Or possibly drowning in lime
jello.

Dear oh dear oh tut.

ObDWJ, maybe buying her a drink or two and then letting her loose on them
to mock them something rotten would be best.  She does a wonderful line in
mocking when she has had a couple of pints, and she has but little time for
pompous silliness as a rule.

Minnow