Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jan 18 16:47:25 EST 2005

>My dialect is incredibly bizarre, because my mother is a Londoner
>(formerly Cockney, no less, although there was accent training in her
>youth); my father is an over-educated American Yinglish
>(Yiddish-English) speaker with diction like a BBC announcer

Ah, another DDP (dialectically displaced person). My mother loathed her
family background so much (think Okies who didn't have the gumption to
move west when the Dust Bowl happened, but drifted south into East Texas
instead) that she trained herself to speak like a radio announcer. At
least that's what I think she did. She won't talk about it.

Since my father spent the first four years of my life getting his PhD in
math, which is pretty much a 24/7 endeavour, I grew up talking like my
mother.

I get SO tired of people saying, "You were born here? (Austin, Texas)
But you don't talk like a Texan!"

I'm not about to bore them and myself with family history, so I usually
mumble something like, "well, my family moved around a lot when I was a
kid."

Do you meet this problem, and if so, what do you do about it?

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html