trash vs literature

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jan 18 16:42:04 EST 2005

>I, on the other hand, have wasted many hours trying to convince
>> people that "I don't watch TV" is a simple statement about my
>> habits and not an intellectual snobbism, and that many of the books
>> I read are every bit as trashy as their favorite TV show, whatever
>> it may be.
>>
>> Totally wasted effort. Not watching TV, in America, makes you an
>> Intellectual, even if you just took an Elizabeth Ogilvie novel and
>> an unknown-quantity sf paperback down to Cozumel for airplane/beach
>> reading.
>

>I disagree, There's some absolutely splendid television out of a fantasy nature including
>Carnivale on HBO, and the now concluded Farscape series. It ain't the medium that's determines if it's trash -- it's the content!

If you disagree, then you too missed my point <sigh>. I wasn't saying
that all TV was trashy - how could I know, when I never even remember to
go in the room with the TV and turn it on for a program somebody
recommends. I was saying that choosing to read books rather than watch
TV didn't mean I'm an intellectual. It just means that I read books and
don't watch TV.

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html