Best Books of 2004

Tue Jan 18 14:14:36 EST 2005

More catching up for me....

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:18:05 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Melissa (who is hopefully still in the land of the living after her party):

It was great, we split it up over two days and took breaks for food.  It
didn't feel at all long and was even better for the additions.

>>_The Oracle_ was finally published here as _The Oracle Betrayed_, and after
>>all that talk about it, I snatched it up when I saw it in the store.  (Ditto
>>_Mortal Engines_, but that's another tale.)  Hallie, have I mentioned that
>>you're probably the person I depend most heavily on for books that I know I
>>will love?  I loved the world, I loved the story, and I went and ordered
>>_The Archon_ from Amazon.uk rather than wait any longer.
>
>No, you've never mentioned it before, and I'm feeling extraordinarily
>complimented!  Almost complimented and paralyzed in equal measure. ;)
>(Will I *ever* dare recommend a book again, for fear of blowing it?)

It's not like we share completely common tastes, but somehow the things you
feel like raving about are things I happen to like.  I don't know why that
is.

>>And I'm hoping Martha Wells gets the next Ile-Rien
>>book out soon.
>
>November 2005 for _The Gate of Gods_, according to Martha Wells' LJ blog.

My book group was happy to hear this, because we did _The Wizard Hunters_
for January and many of them were hooked.

>>And finally...
>>**Worst Book of 2004:  _The Da Vinci Code_ by Dan Brown
>
>Heh.  I was saved from this quite a while ago by a friend from
>BookCrossing, who also detested it.  The more I hear, the happier I
>get about taking her word for it!  My mother was given a copy by a
>friend of hers visiting from the US, and I couldn't quite resist a
>tactful questioning about the book's 'merits'.  She said she was
>fascinated in the history of the (Christian) church's views on women
>because she'd studied religion in university, and I asked her if that
>part was accurate.  There was a pause and then she said 'it's fiction
>- it doesn't need to be accurate'.  At which point Becca left the
>room and I dropped the subject.  My mother didn't go near the book, I
>might add.

I keep getting in trouble for not liking this book, so I'm just never going
to mention it again.  Though I almost mugged somebody in the dinosaur museum
yesterday who was raving about it to his friends, so we'll just see how long
that resolution lasts.

Melissa Proffitt