trash vs literature

Tue Jan 18 13:32:12 EST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:19:44 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>>I don't care what people think of me, but *I* feel guilty if I read
>>"trash" instead of Real Literature.
>>

>I, on the other hand, have wasted many hours trying to convince people
>that "I don't watch TV" is a simple statement about my habits and not an
>intellectual snobbism, and that many of the books I read are every bit
>as trashy as their favorite TV show, whatever it may be.
>
>Totally wasted effort. Not watching TV, in America, makes you an
>Intellectual, even if you just took an Elizabeth Ogilvie novel and an
>unknown-quantity sf paperback down to Cozumel for airplane/beach reading.

Well, of course, because so many people DO say they don't watch TV with that
sneer in their voices and the unspoken "because I am too smart for that
drivel" undertone.  Reading in general is a much more difficult endeavor
than just sitting down in front of the television like a zombie.  (Meaning
that Intellectual Non-TV Watchers think of the activity in that way, not
that I do, because I like watching TV.)

It's just too bad there isn't a better way to distinguish people who are
Snooty and people who just don't watch TV.  I, for one, am not interested in
daytime television--I get too distracted to do all the other things I have
to do--and I know some of my friends think I look down on them when they
talk about something they saw on Oprah or The Today Show.

Melissa Proffitt
(devout fan of Waiting For God, which just started from the beginning of the
series on PBS)