Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Tue Jan 18 13:27:17 EST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:40:21 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>I loved the map, but how odd. I've lived in the South nearly all my life
>(Texas, Georgia, Virginia) and to me a soft drink is definitely a
>"soda", not a "coke."
>
>Hmm. Possibly speech patterns change over 50 years.

When I lived in Texas, carbonated beverages were always Cokes even if they
were clear and non-caffeinated.

Here in Utah, it's "pop."  When I lived in New York, we called them "sodas."
I ended up being terminally confused about what to say to people in
different places so they would understand what I was asking for.

Melissa Proffitt