tv vs books

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Jan 18 13:07:17 EST 2005

On Tuesday, January 18, 2005, at 04:14 AM, jack at greenmanreview.com
wrote:

>> I, on the other hand, have wasted many hours trying to convince
>> people that "I don't watch TV" is a simple statement about my
>> habits and not an intellectual snobbism, and that many of the books
>> I read are every bit as trashy as their favorite TV show, whatever
>> it may be.
>>
>> Totally wasted effort. Not watching TV, in America, makes you an
>> Intellectual, even if you just took an Elizabeth Ogilvie novel and
>> an unknown-quantity sf paperback down to Cozumel for airplane/beach
>> reading.

We have a VCR and a DVD player, but we don't receive any outside
TV signal.  This makes us quite weird enough.  [You really need
cable around here, and we decided we could do without it.]

Also, my partner is not a reader.  I don't know _how_ I got myself
mixed up with someone who doesn't read all the time. :-)  But I
did.  She very occasionally reads a book about a subject that
interests her -- biographies of blues musicians, for example.
Last night she was watching the DVD full of supplemental stuff
about "Master and Commander" and actually expressed a mild
interest in reading a Patrick O'Brien.  [She knows I have them
all.]  So we'll see ....