Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

ROSLYN rosgross at
Tue Jan 18 06:54:28 EST 2005

  Soft drink.
  Shopping bag.  Or plastic bag.
  Pram.  Pusher sometimes if the baby sits upright.
  Roll (or sub if it is from Subway).
  School bag.


  Thought I'd take a short-cut and say that in Melbourne (Victoria, Australia) we say it the same way as Kylie, with a couple of minor comments. We say 'soft drinks' too, but sometimes they are generically called 'lemonade', which I think you also wrote in another part of this post. When my kids were little we called what we pushed them around in 'pushers', but when they were babies and only lay down, we used a 'pram', but many 'pushers' could be used this way too, if they could be folded down flat. I think that increasingly the word 'stroller' is used as well as 'pusher'.

  When long rolls are sold in more upmarket places, they are sometimes called 'baguettes'...

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

More information about the Dwj mailing list