Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at
Mon Jan 17 23:48:05 EST 2005

Allison Marles: 
> School bag is what I'd use as a generic, but more commonly they're
> called by their type -- so backpack or messenger bag (aka courier bag).
> In case these names aren't clear, backpack is the sort that is
> roundish-squarish and has two straps and is worn on the back.  A
> messenger bag is rectangular and has one strap, usually worn diagonally
> across the chest, so that the bag hangs over your bottom, but can also
> be worn with the strap on the shoulder so the bag hangs beside you.

We tend to call these satchels (or just bag vs backpack).


To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at

More information about the Dwj mailing list