Americanisms

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 17 23:34:44 EST 2005

Soft drink sounds "menu-y" to me, but still is used. Generally I say
pop.  Lemonade isn't fizzy unless it's specified.  Tea means hot tea.
Iced Tea means strong tea that has been cooled and sweetened (not
some syrupy stuff from a packet).

shopping/grocery bag

pram or baby buggy for non-sitting-up sort and stroller for the
sitting up sort.

sub (if it's from Mr.Sub or Subway), otherwise just sandwich.

swimsuit or bathing suit

School bag is what I'd use as a generic, but more commonly they're
called by their type -- so backpack or messenger bag (aka courier bag).
In case these names aren't clear, backpack is the sort that is
roundish-squarish and has two straps and is worn on the back.  A
messenger bag is rectangular and has one strap, usually worn diagonally
across the chest, so that the bag hangs over your bottom, but can also
be worn with the strap on the shoulder so the bag hangs beside you.

Isn't language interesting ?

Allison