Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Jan 17 23:12:43 EST 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 9:31 PM, Ding, Kylie ((KAM.RIC)) wrote:

> Maybe someone can help me out here.  What is the generic name for
> drinks like Sprite and 7 Up?  Here they would be lemonade.  No one I
> have asked over there seems to know, and I usually just ask for a
> Sprite and say it's okay if they only have 7 Up.

It's pop or soda or soda pop depending on where you live. Or, sometimes
in the South, I understand, it's a coke (as are all soft drinks in
certain areas).

widdy

> Soft drink.
> Shopping bag.  Or plastic bag.
> Pram.  Pusher sometimes if the baby sits upright.
> Roll (or sub if it is from Subway).
> Bathers
> School bag.
>
> Kylie
>
> Well I used to think of all soft drinks as "cokes" but now with the
> whole coke/pepsi rivalry I always say coke to mean coke and then
> sprite or pepsi or dr. pepper or barqs or whatever...

Blessed Cecelia, appear in visions
To all musicians, appear and inspire:
Translated Daughter, come down and startle
Composing mortals with immortal fire.
W. H. Auden

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net