Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com
Mon Jan 17 22:31:03 EST 2005

Maybe someone can help me out here.  What is the generic name for drinks like Sprite and 7 Up?  Here they would be lemonade.  No one I have asked over there seems to know, and I usually just ask for a Sprite and say it's okay if they only have 7 Up.

Soft drink.
Shopping bag.  Or plastic bag.
Pram.  Pusher sometimes if the baby sits upright.
Roll (or sub if it is from Subway).
Bathers
School bag.

Kylie

Well I used to think of all soft drinks as "cokes" but now with the whole coke/pepsi rivalry I always say coke to mean coke and then sprite or pepsi or dr. pepper or barqs or whatever...