Recommendation request

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Mon Jan 17 21:26:14 EST 2005

Melissa wrote

>There are some books I would kill
>to be able to read again for the first time.

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a selective memory wiper, so that one
could (for instance) erase the entire Miles Vorkosigan sequence from
memory, and reread it from the beginning? Instead of rememering the
dialogue in Shards of Honor all too clearly and completely forgetting
that one had promised to attend some damn meeting on Thursday afternoon,
which is how my memory wiper generally works? Obviously it's got a good
sense of what's important in life, but it gets me in a lot of trouble.

Having just announced that I don't watch TV, I now need to add a
postscript: It has occurred to me that having a television set with a
DVD player means that one can acquire operas on DVD, which means that I
can now *see* what's happening in operas I've been listening to on CD
for years. I have just acquired a DVD of Tosca and want to make Steve
watch it with me, so that I can see whether there's any suspense at all
in the story for someone who hasn't always known it. I don't *think*
anybody *could* believe that Scarpia's promise to Tosca isn't a
double-cross, but maybe that's just because it's so familiar to me.
Steve is cynical but virtually illiterate; a good test case.

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html