Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Jan 17 21:11:10 EST 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 8:16 PM, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Monday, January 17, 2005, at 06:27 PM, J.E. Powers wrote:
>

>> We call the long sandwiches subways.
>> ++++++++
>>
>> LOL  And in Maine, we call such sandwiches "italians."
>> -Jill
>
> You mean 'grinders'?

They're just "subs" here in Madison and were "subs" in Victoria, BC,
and Kingston, ON, and Toronto. When I was growing up, there was a chain
of restaurants in Ontario called "Mr. Submarine". I assume they came to
be called that here because of their shape.

They were also called "hoagies" in Ontario.

widdy

Blessed Cecelia, appear in visions
To all musicians, appear and inspire:
Translated Daughter, come down and startle
Composing mortals with immortal fire.
W. H. Auden

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net