Characters who are Librarians

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 17:56:15 EST 2005

--- HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

> Standard Time,
> owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:
>

> > jack at greenmanreview.com wrote: >I'm looking for
> Librarians as characters in
> > fiction. Who do you know who is? > >
>
> Have you tried looking up "Librarians -- Fiction" or
> "Librarians in
> literature"? :-)
>
> One very unpleasant librarian (based on an all too
> real woman) is in _Who is
> Victoria?_ by Betty K. Erwin. Oh, and Eleanor
> Cameron's first book (for
> adults), _The Unheard Music_, was about a librarian
> in a small town (as I recall she
> was beautiful, brilliant, and underpaid -- one of
> the library board members,
> some rich old broad, said to the library staff
> something like, "But you are
> high priestesses in the temple of learning, and
> surely that must count for
> something, does it not?"

Another librarian in literature that occurs is a minor
character in Alyssa Bruggman's "Walking Naked". A very
unpleasant character who bars all users from her (High
School) library by meeting at the door and asking what
they want, If they are at all unsure she sends them
off, if they know the book they she she gets it for
them. She is of significance to me because she is
based on my predecessor at the school I'm at. My
daughter who was a student here in her era suspected
this was the case and when I had a chance to speak to
Alyssa Bruggman (an ex-student) about this she
confirmed it. The incidents described all were real.

Jon (who also has been away for a week's holiday)