Recommendation Request

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Mon Jan 17 14:13:21 EST 2005

Susan Juby has written two books which I found very funny: the first more
so than the sequel, but both worth a read. They made me laugh, which has
not been easy to do lately.

_Alice, I think_
_Miss Smithers_

Alice is a "socially misadjusted" teenager who was home-schooled for many
years after being teased for wearing a Hobbit costume to kindergarten. She
then has to go to "regular" high school, and the book is about her
problems there, but written in a very humorous way, not in one of those
"problem novel" ways.

I second the Gordon Korman recommendation.  I also like Keith Robertson's
Henry Reed books for a good laugh, and the Blossom Culp series by Richard
Peck.  _A Long Way from Chicago_ and _A Year Down Yonder_ are also
hilarious; I love the Grandma character.  Dorothy Cannell has also written
some humorous mystery novels; I like her earlier ones best:  _The Thin
Woman_ and _How to Murder Your Mother-in-Law_ were good reads. I also like
Jennifer Crusie's _Welcome to Temptation_.

Laurie