Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Belben, Philip ( Energy Wholesale ) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Jan 17 10:53:34 EST 2005

I'm back!  Eight whole weeks it took the technical support people to get
my e-mail working again.  And the problem was exactly what I thought -
it was still getting forwarded to Germany - which, of course, they
assured me was not the case.

Anyway, Gili asked:

> What I'd really like to know though, is what do you call the thing
> with wheels you use to push around your baby?
>
> Is it:
>
> A. a pushchair
> B. a stroller
> C. a baby carriage
> D. a pram
> E. a perambulator
> F. none of the above
>
> If I remember correctly, A. is American for what a baby sits in
> upright, B. is the British equivalent of A. C. is American for what a
> younger baby lies in, D. is the British equivalent of C., and E. is
> what Mary Poppins uses for John and Barbara. But I may be hopelessly
> confused.

As far as I (British) am concerned, A is what a toddler sits in (as for
example, obDWJ, Charles Morgan being pushed around by Bernadette and
watching a witch get burnt).  B I had assumed was American for A (i.e.
the opposite way round to Gili's view)

E is what a small baby lies in, but it is almost invariably abbreviated
to D.  C I agree is American for D/E.

Philip (Glad to be _truly_ home at last!)

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432