Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Jan 17 08:40:02 EST 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 7:13 AM, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> Otter dangled:
>
>> If you speak American English, what would you call the following:
>>  - a carbonated beverage?

I grew up calling it "pop" (but I grew up speaking Canadian English, so
that's different) and I've lived in places which called it "soda"  and
in places which are on the border. There's a wonderful map somewhere .
. .

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

>> - the thing that contains your groceries?

It's a grocery bag.

widdy

Blessed Cecelia, appear in visions
To all musicians, appear and inspire:
Translated Daughter, come down and startle
Composing mortals with immortal fire.
W. H. Auden

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net