Holiday reading

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 17 03:27:21 EST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Judith Ridge wrote:

> Next question: Am I likely to enjoy other books of Willis' or are
> they vastly different from _Dog_?

Yes to both questions - the trick being that they are of course also
very similar to 'Dog'. It depends on which aspects you consider to be
the important ones.

-snip and rearrange-

> Confession: and I realise this may get me kicked off the list (or at
> the very least Sent to Coventry which actually becomes a fairly
> clever pun if you can wait long enough for the payoff...). I started
> Louise McMaster Bujold's _Cordelia's Honour_. I got a few chapters
> in and I thought; I don't read this kind of book. I don't like this
> kind of book. I am not particularly enjoying this book. (I don't
> even know what to call "this kind of book". It's not strictly SF, is
> it. Oh well, I don't know what it is, but I know when I don't like
> it...)

> So Cordelia has gone back on the shelf next to _Young Miles_ which I
> am sure I will never read either.

I realise this is exactly what you expect someone to say next, but you
should at least try 'Young Miles' before getting rid of it.

Or at least ask somebody "Am I likely to not-enjoy other books of
Bujold's or are they vastly different from 'Cordelia's Honor'?"

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."