Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Jan 16 23:54:14 EST 2005

On Sunday, January 16, 2005, at 07:54 PM, Greeniegirl2 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/13/2005 3:23:48 PM Central Standard Time,
> mallums at tyler.net writes:
>
> I use "got" and "gotten" in the sense of "acquired" quite often.  It's
> perfectly natural to me to use it that way.  I'm American (Southern),
> for reference.  I would read passages such as the ones you quote quite
> un-bothered.
>
> Ok well that might explain why I was confused on why using got/gotten
> that way was a problem. I mean I like to think I have pretty decent
> grammar or whatever (or at least I can recognize when the word choice
> is pretty bad most of the time). Southerners, esp. New Orleanians, say
> lots of weird little things "outsiders" don't understand. I had no
> idea until a year ago people outside New Orleans or the general area
> didnt say they wanted their sandwich "dressed" when they wanted
> lettuce, tomato, mayo,and sometimes other condiments on it. Also
> didn't know Mardi Gras wasn't a national holiday for the first few
> years of my life either. I wasn't a very well-informed little kid I
> guess.
>
> -Jordan

That business with got/gotten divides American English from British
English.  [It's not the only thing that divides them.]

If you speak American English, what would you call the following:

  - a carbonated beverage?
  - the thing that contains your groceries?

People rarely win wars; governments rarely
lose them

                                                   - Arundhati Roy