Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books

Greeniegirl2 at aol.com Greeniegirl2 at aol.com
Sun Jan 16 21:54:28 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/13/2005 3:23:48 PM Central Standard Time,
mallums at tyler.net writes:
I use "got" and "gotten" in the sense of "acquired" quite often.  It's
perfectly natural to me to use it that way.  I'm American (Southern),
for reference.  I would read passages such as the ones you quote quite
un-bothered.
Ok well that might explain why I was confused on why using got/gotten that
way was a problem. I mean I like to think I have pretty decent grammar or
whatever (or at least I can recognize when the word choice is pretty bad most of the
time). Southerners, esp. New Orleanians, say lots of weird little things
"outsiders" don't understand. I had no idea until a year ago people outside New
Orleans or the general area didnt say they wanted their sandwich "dressed" when
they wanted lettuce, tomato, mayo,and sometimes other condiments on it. Also
didn't know Mardi Gras wasn't a national holiday for the first few years of my
life either. I wasn't a very well-informed little kid I guess.

-Jordan