Titanic was Re: Best Books of 2004

Sat Jan 15 13:34:52 EST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:16:24 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Paul said...
>
>> ...now I'm trying to remember whether it was this film or Luhrmann's
>> 'Romeo + Juliet' of which it was reported after the premiere that a
>> certain Hollywood starlet left the cinema sobbing and telling all and
>> sundry that she'd never have watched it if she'd known the ending
>> would be so sad...
>
>Heh.  Yeah, "Titanic" was the film that I refused to go and see because
>"what's the point?  I know how it ends.  The ship sinks."
>
>I actually did see it a couple of years ago when it was on TV at Xmas and
>everyone else in the house wanted to watch it (despite all of them having
>seen it in the cinema).  And, rather to my disgust, was in floods of tears
>at the end, despite thinking it a pretty crap story.

This is what is technically known as "Sentimental Drivel."  :)

A friend of mine gave me a very good definition of emotional manipulation a
few years ago.  She said that being moved by a book or movie is fine, but
when every individual experiences the *same* emotion in connection with the
book or movie, that's emotional manipulation.  There are things that just
evoke pathos, like putting children or cute animals in danger.  And it is a
little disgusting to have one's own very real emotions being tapped into
directly without one's permission.

I do regret not seeing the fabulous special effects, and the magnificent
Kathy Bates as Molly Brown.  But I intend to go to my grave without seeing
the movie.  I think it would have been a better movie if ol' Leo had ended
up being the villain and poor Billy Zane had turned out to be the hero.
(Yes, I do know the plot in startling detail for someone who never saw it,
but I like to be informed about the things I derogate.)

And since we're talking about "Titanic," if you've never read this parody by
my friend Eric Snider, check it out:

http://www.ericdsnider.com/view.php?srkey=273

It made its way around the Internet, usually with the author attribution
removed, so you may have seen this before.  I hope the link works; now that
he's unemployed, his humor column on the web is a subscription-only thing,
but these old ones are still available online.

Melissa Proffitt
(still procrastinating)