Titanic was Re: Best Books of 2004

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Jan 15 10:01:53 EST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Paul Andinach wrote:

> Well, the main plot isn't really the point, even if it is supposedly
> what had so many people going back to watch it over and over again; it
> was just the framework on which to hang the multi-million-dollar
> reconstruction of the doomed Titanic. ("The carpets were made by the
> very same company, you know.")
>
> That said, of course, it surely wouldn't have hurt them to spend a bit
> more on the plot as well.  :)

Apparently, there were a few real marriages that happened on the Titanic;
it would have been nifty if they'd focused on one of those.

I started watching the movie at one point, because my dad had taped it,
but the dialogue was so horribly bad that I had to stop.

> ...now I'm trying to remember whether it was this film or Luhrmann's
> 'Romeo + Juliet' of which it was reported after the premiere that a
> certain Hollywood starlet left the cinema sobbing and telling all and
> sundry that she'd never have watched it if she'd known the ending
> would be so sad...

Heh. My favorite "spoiler? how can that be a spoiler?" moment came when I
was in high school, and talking to a bunch of friends (all of whom were
relatively well-read and intelligent), and started saying, "at the end of
_Macbeth_," and one friend cried out, "wait! Don't tell me!" It's a
*tragedy*, people!