The Importance of Keeping in Touch. LONG! and largely OT.

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Fri Jan 14 16:37:40 EST 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:31, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> I don't know about common on the list, but certainly most of my
> reading at the moment is sf/fantasy, mysteries, comedy, and
> non-fiction.

Me too! Me too!

> I decided that I would give up on
> trying to be well-read, because anyone who cares if I've read
> Dostoyevsky would sneer at me for reading Bujold anyway, so I may as
> well stick to things I actually *enjoy*.)

I don't care what people think of me, but *I* feel guilty if I read
"trash" instead of Real Literature.

On the other hand, I talked to a woman once who had been married to a
dying man for about one year (they knew he was dying when they married)
and they'd given up completely on "trashy novels" (where "trashy" is
definitely an epitheton ornans) and read only "valuable literature",
which sounded dreary but commendable. If I knew I had one year left,
I'd probably read what I liked, not what was good for me!

And I've tried Dostojevsky, several times, each time on someone else's
recommendation, but disliked it every time; apparently I just don't
have the Russian soul.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 05-Jan-2005